GSA Awards $191M in Energy Savings Performance Contracts
The General Services Administration has awarded more than $191 million worth of energy savings performance contracts for nearly 100 buildings as part of its contribution to the Better Buildings Challenge. The GSA says its efforts so far will cut energy use in the facilities by 38 percent.
ESPCs allow the government to pay energy service companies from the energy efficiency savings over a period of time.
GSA says the following are examples of some federal buildings saving energy with performance contracts:
- Four Chicago federal buildings will be able to meet energy reduction goals including, chiller plant and boiler plant improvements for the Chicago Federal Center; controls system upgrades at three sites; and HVAC and air handling upgrades at the Everett M. Dirksen US Courthouse. When complete in 2016, GSA anticipates that it will realize $2.5 million in annual energy savings. The total project investment is $53 million, which is GSA’s largest ESPC project in the country.
- At the Almeric Christian Federal Building and Courthouse in St. Croix, Virgin Islands, a construction contract valued at over $6 million, the contractor identified nine projects with the focal point being a 462 KW solar array that can save the government about $509,000 each year. The total energy reduction at this site has the potential to reach 100 percent, which would make it a net zero location.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Integrated Building Optimization
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement