GSA Awards $191M in Energy Savings Performance Contracts
The General Services Administration has awarded more than $191 million worth of energy savings performance contracts for nearly 100 buildings as part of its contribution to the Better Buildings Challenge. The GSA says its efforts so far will cut energy use in the facilities by 38 percent.
ESPCs allow the government to pay energy service companies from the energy efficiency savings over a period of time.
GSA says the following are examples of some federal buildings saving energy with performance contracts:
- Four Chicago federal buildings will be able to meet energy reduction goals including, chiller plant and boiler plant improvements for the Chicago Federal Center; controls system upgrades at three sites; and HVAC and air handling upgrades at the Everett M. Dirksen US Courthouse. When complete in 2016, GSA anticipates that it will realize $2.5 million in annual energy savings. The total project investment is $53 million, which is GSA’s largest ESPC project in the country.
- At the Almeric Christian Federal Building and Courthouse in St. Croix, Virgin Islands, a construction contract valued at over $6 million, the contractor identified nine projects with the focal point being a 462 KW solar array that can save the government about $509,000 each year. The total energy reduction at this site has the potential to reach 100 percent, which would make it a net zero location.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Smarter Asset Management for the Nuclear Power Imperative
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room