Helium Improves Energy Efficiency of Hard Drives
HGST is shipping a helium-based hard drive platform to improve data center capacity, power usage, cooling and storage density.
The new 6-terabyte Ultrastar He6 hard drive seals the spinning disks inside a helium-filled chamber.
According to HGST, effective cooling in data centers is becoming more challenging due to hotter components and less space for efficient airflow. One solution is liquid cooling, which is denser than air and can remove heat more efficiently and maintain a more constant operating temperature. However, traditional drives cannot be submerged as they are open to the atmosphere and would allow the cooling liquid inside, damaging or destroying the hard disk drive (HDD). HGST’s HelioSeal platform provides a way for liquid cooling as the drives are hermetically sealed and enable operation in most any non-conductive liquid.
HGST’s HelioSeal platform leverages helium, which is one-seventh the density of air.
Key businesses working with HGST to qualify the drive include HP, Netflix, Huawei Unified Storage, CERN, Green Revolution Cooling and Code42.
Moving forward, HGST’s helium platform will serve as the company’s main platform for new technologies like shingled magnetic recording (SMR) and heat-assisted magnetic recording (HAMR). The helium platform will also serve as the future building block for new, growing market segments such as cold storage, a space that HGST plans to address over the next couple of years.
With 6TB, 5.3 idle watts, a reduced weight of 640g, and running at 4-5°C cooler, the new Ultrastar He6 hermetically sealed, helium-filled HDD product increases capacity while lowering power consumption and operating temperature, says HGST. The Ultrastar He6 drive features HGST’s 7Stac disk design.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room