High Hopes, Big Challenges for SolarCity’s Buffalo Factory
The story highlights the possibility that the factory will help reverse the fortunes of the depressed area. It highlights the optimism of the company and local officials. However, it also points to potential problems: An investigation into how construction projects were awarded, the reliance of the industry on tax credits that could fade away and uncertainty about the company’s business model.
That model, which relies on leasing solar panels to customers, has raised concerns among investors. Short sellers – traders who bet that a company loses value – hold 45 percent of its available shares. SolarCity, which is headquartered in San Mateo, CA, said last month that it has designed the world’s most efficient solar panel. The panel, which has an efficiency of 22.04 percent, will be manufactured at the Buffalo facility.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- There’s Money in the Trash