High-Intensity Blasting Improves Energy Efficiency
Milling ore requires more electricity than any other part of the mining process, and Australian mining services company Orica has found a way to make the process more energy efficient, according to a Sourceable article.
By raising the explosive energy by several times, mines are able to produce a much finer ore, which in turn allows the mill to increase its throughput by as much as 40 percent. This lowers the energy consumption levels across the entire mining site, which could add up to millions of dollars in savings per year.
However, high-intensity blasting poses safety and environmental risks. To mitigate these risks, Orica has developed a method through which the explosive energy of a blast is contained in the surrounding rock through selective deployment of digital electronic initiation systems. After successfully testing the method in blast models, it was deployed safely in a large-scale production blast.
According to Orica, the new method has the potential to open up mining to ore bodies that were previously considered uneconomical or impractical.
The approach received the 2014 CEEC Medal from the Coalition for Eco-Efficient Comminution.
Photo via Shutterstock.
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Integrated Building Optimization
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement