High-Intensity Blasting Improves Energy Efficiency
Milling ore requires more electricity than any other part of the mining process, and Australian mining services company Orica has found a way to make the process more energy efficient, according to a Sourceable article.
By raising the explosive energy by several times, mines are able to produce a much finer ore, which in turn allows the mill to increase its throughput by as much as 40 percent. This lowers the energy consumption levels across the entire mining site, which could add up to millions of dollars in savings per year.
However, high-intensity blasting poses safety and environmental risks. To mitigate these risks, Orica has developed a method through which the explosive energy of a blast is contained in the surrounding rock through selective deployment of digital electronic initiation systems. After successfully testing the method in blast models, it was deployed safely in a large-scale production blast.
According to Orica, the new method has the potential to open up mining to ore bodies that were previously considered uneconomical or impractical.
The approach received the 2014 CEEC Medal from the Coalition for Eco-Efficient Comminution.
Photo via Shutterstock.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management