High-Intensity Blasting Improves Energy Efficiency
Milling ore requires more electricity than any other part of the mining process, and Australian mining services company Orica has found a way to make the process more energy efficient, according to a Sourceable article.
By raising the explosive energy by several times, mines are able to produce a much finer ore, which in turn allows the mill to increase its throughput by as much as 40 percent. This lowers the energy consumption levels across the entire mining site, which could add up to millions of dollars in savings per year.
However, high-intensity blasting poses safety and environmental risks. To mitigate these risks, Orica has developed a method through which the explosive energy of a blast is contained in the surrounding rock through selective deployment of digital electronic initiation systems. After successfully testing the method in blast models, it was deployed safely in a large-scale production blast.
According to Orica, the new method has the potential to open up mining to ore bodies that were previously considered uneconomical or impractical.
The approach received the 2014 CEEC Medal from the Coalition for Eco-Efficient Comminution.
Photo via Shutterstock.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement