Hines Builds Net-Zero-Energy Commercial Office Building
Global Real Estate firm Hines is constructing a 13-story, 415,000-sq-foot building at La Jolla Commons in San Diego that will achieve carbon neutrality on an annual basis through a combination of high-performance building design, directed biogas and on-site fuel cells.
The building will generate annually more electricity than the building and tenant will use.
The building design incorporates an under-floor air system, advanced curtain wall materials and other features that reduce the energy required to operate the facility.
The fuel cells, acquired from Bloom Energy, will generate approximately 5.0 million KWh of electricity annually. The fuel cells convert methane into electricity in a non-combustion process. Sufficient methane for the system will be acquired from carbon-neutral sources, such as landfills and wastewater plants, and placed into the national natural gas pipeline system. The fuel cell system will contribute to California’s goal of deriving a third of its electricity from renewable sources by 2020.
The building will be fully leased and occupied by LPL Financial. It is being developed and will be owned by a partnership of Hines and institutional investors advised by JP Morgan Asset Management.
Construction began in April 2012, and completion is scheduled for mid-2014.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- How to Reduce Cost by Increasing Accountability for Energy Efficiency
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- Harness the Value of Big Data to Build Smarter Infrastructures
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems