Honeywell Bags Fort Bragg Microgrid Project
The company will build a microgrid that uses advance controls to network new and existing backup generators on the US Army post, the first application of this technology for a federal agency. The electricity these assets produce will then be available across multiple buildings, helping maintain power for vital operations.
The Department of Defense will finance the project through its Environmental Security Technology Certification Program (ESTCP), which identifies and demonstrates innovative, cost-effective technologies that address the department’s energy and environmental requirements. Along with the microgrid grant, DOD selected Honeywell for a second ESTCP-funded project, work that will help trim expenses tied to the post’s central heating and cooling plant.
Military installations are often at risk of outages due to a variety of external circumstances — weather events and disruptions on the utility grid, for example. Fort Bragg has traditionally used emergency generators to make sure electricity is available for mission-critical activities. These generators, however, are not usually shared between facilities. And that means there’s no backup to the backup power if there is a failure or maintenance issue. The equipment is often improperly sized as well, leading to inefficient operations and higher-than-necessary expenses.
With Honeywell’s Secured Network of Assured Power Enclaves, Fort Bragg expects to share emergency generation between multiple buildings and decrease overall energy use by requiring fewer generators to address energy interruptions.
In February, the Department of Defense awarded $500,000 via the ESTCP to the Iowa Energy Center, Iowa Army National Guard and Taylor Engineering to demonstrate energy efficient strategies at five National Guard facilities.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement