House Advances Energy Efficiency Legislation
The US House of Representatives passed a bill that takes several steps to advance energy efficiency.
The American Energy Manufacturing Technical Corrections Act (H.R. 6582) modifies legislation that passed the Senate last month and returns to the Senate for final approval.
The bill would ease federal regulations on the manufacture of walk-in coolers, water heaters and other appliances, according to The Hill.
The bill makes a number of technical corrections to equipment efficiency standards previously enacted by Congress, helping to make the program function better. Also, the bill includes provisions to better coordinate industrial research and development activities among government agencies, reduce barriers to deployment of industrial energy efficiency, promote best practices for advanced metering among government agencies, and improve data collection for federal energy and water management efforts.
H.R. 6582 – passed in a 398-2 vote – builds upon a bill originally introduced by Rep. Robert Aderholt (R-AL) and two pieces of legislation: the Energy Savings and Industrial Competiveness Act (S. 1000) introduced by Senators Jean Shaheen (D-NH) and Robert Portman (R-OH) and the Implementation of National Consensus Appliance Agreements Act (S. 398) introduced by Energy Committee Chair Senator Jeff Bingaman (D-NM).
“This bill (H.R. 6582) is a modest but bipartisan step forward, one we hope the next Congress can build upon,” said Steven Nadel, executive director of the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy.
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- The Sustainable Edge™