HP Introduces Water-Cooled Supercomputer

July 18, 2014 By Karen Henry

Apollo8000-energy-manageHP has introduced the Apollo 8000, a high-performance server that uses warm-liquid cooling technology. The company is billing the system as the world’s first water-cooled supercomputer with dry-disconnect servers.

Because water cooling is 1,000 times more efficient than air cooling, HP said the Apollo 8000 can deliver four times the number of teraflops per square foot and 40 percent more FLOPS per watt than an air-cooled system.

The technology is based on work HP did with the National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL) on the Peregrine supercomputer in its Energy Systems Integration Facility (ESIF).

According to HP, the system eliminates the needs for chillers and allows customers to recycle the warm water used to cool the system as a heat source for their facilities. By using the waste heat from their supercomputer to heat adjacent office and lab space, NREL said it is saving an estimated $1 million per year in operations costs for a data center that cost less to build than a typical data center.

The dry-disconnect technology keeps components cool and dry. Other features include a power distribution system that exceeds ENERGY STAR Platinum certification and an intelligent cooling distribution unit (iCDU) rack.

2 comments on “HP Introduces Water-Cooled Supercomputer

  1. Clustered Systems ExaBlade system with 128 servers has been running at SLAC for 18 months. Fully configured it can cool 100kW, enough for a full load of servers or GPUs. And it uses off the shelf motherboards.

  2. almost forgot, cooling overhead is 4% of motherboard consumption and total conversion loss 480VAC to 12VDC is 7%. The total of 11% of motherboard power overhead is less than that of a standard server in the middle of a farmer’s field.

Leave a reply


*