HVAC, LEDs, Building Controls: All Big Growth Businesses in Asia Pacific
Asia Pacific represents a major portion of global real estate, with about 40 percent of the world’s building stock. According to the China Statistics Yearbook (2000-2009), the floor area of new buildings in China has reached more than 1.8 billion square meters every year since 2000 and up to 2.5 billion square meters after 2008. Since this increase in building construction has a direct effect on national energy consumption, most of the governments in the Asia Pacific region have taken energy management into serious consideration, according to Navigant Research’s report: “Energy Efficient Buildings: Asia Pacific.”
These governments are making progress in driving the energy efficiency market through the following actions:
- Implementation of building energy codes
- Adoption of energy efficient technologies and techniques
- Use of efficient equipment, appliances, materials, and products
- Implementation of operational and management practices and other relevant approaches during the planning, design, new construction, retrofit, and operational phases of the building’s lifecycle.
Navigant says three categories of products and services will address energy efficiency in buildings in Asia Pacific:
- Energy Efficient HVAC Systems
- Energy Efficient Lighting
- Commercial Building Automation Systems
Numerous HVAC manufacturers serve the Asia Pacific markets. However, current conditions tend to favor conventional HVAC systems and non-pre-engineered (or packaged) units, over more specialized or more advanced systems, in order to meet demands across multiple markets, says Navigant.
In Asia Pacific, as in other regions, light-emitting diode (LED) products have come to be regarded as energy efficient, advanced, and long-lasting alternatives for commercial buildings. Navigant Research expects that the commercial buildings sector in the region will experience a huge increase in the adoption of these products in the coming years. Recently, the Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) commissioned Navigant Research to prepare “The Advanced Energy Now 2014 Market Report, which found the single largest driver globally for the adoption of LED lighting may be China’s 12th Five-Year Plan (2011-2015).
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Practical Guide to Transforming Energy Data into Better Buildings
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology