IBM Helps Hawaii Study the State’s Electric Grid
The State of Hawaii’s Department of Defense is collaborating with Hawaiian Electric, the Pacific Disaster Center (managed by the University of Hawaii), US Pacific Command, IBM and Mehta Tech to study the enhancement of the security, reliability, and dependability of the electric grid on Oahu and ways to apply analytics to better predict potential risks and issues, such as natural disasters.
As part of this study, Hawaiian Electric and its collaborators will also evaluate IBM’s Sensemaking and Watson Foundation technologies to help them analyze data, such as weather patterns, and predict outages before they occur. Watson Foundations is a set of big data and analytics capabilities.
Preliminary results from the collaboration are expected to be available by May 2014. The effort will ultimately be focused on building a more secure grid for Hawaiian Electric customers, while ensuring the most reliable power sources.
In 2013, the Office of Naval Research said it is pumping $30 million into Energy Excelerator, a Hawaii-based program that funds development of new ideas in energy innovation.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Combined Heat and Power
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management