IBM Helps Hawaii Study the State’s Electric Grid
The State of Hawaii’s Department of Defense is collaborating with Hawaiian Electric, the Pacific Disaster Center (managed by the University of Hawaii), US Pacific Command, IBM and Mehta Tech to study the enhancement of the security, reliability, and dependability of the electric grid on Oahu and ways to apply analytics to better predict potential risks and issues, such as natural disasters.
As part of this study, Hawaiian Electric and its collaborators will also evaluate IBM’s Sensemaking and Watson Foundation technologies to help them analyze data, such as weather patterns, and predict outages before they occur. Watson Foundations is a set of big data and analytics capabilities.
Preliminary results from the collaboration are expected to be available by May 2014. The effort will ultimately be focused on building a more secure grid for Hawaiian Electric customers, while ensuring the most reliable power sources.
In 2013, the Office of Naval Research said it is pumping $30 million into Energy Excelerator, a Hawaii-based program that funds development of new ideas in energy innovation.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement