IBM Patents Sustainable Computing for Data Centers
IBM inventors have patented a technique that enables cloud computing data center operators to dynamically redistribute workloads to lower-powered or underutilized systems, thereby minimizing their energy usage and environmental footprint.
In October, IBM received US Patent #8,549,125: Environmentally sustainable computing in a distributed computer network for the invention.
Keith Walker, IBM Master Inventor and co-inventor on the patent, said there are three main reasons why a data center may want to offer the technology:
- Public Relations
While the data center will save money by rerouting cloud requests with an eye toward energy savings, it can also boast about its sustainability efforts, of importance to many corporations.
“We have invented a way for cloud service providers to more efficiently manage their data centers and, as a result, significantly reduce their environmental impact,” said Walker.
IBM’s patented cloud computing technique can automatically route service requests through network devices, systems and software that process the service while consuming the least amount of electricity. The concept is similar to how energy companies dynamically price and serve energy according to the type of energy a customer needs, how much is required and when it is needed.
Walker said businesses that want to subscribe to the service will tell their cloud computing provider what performance needs they require. Then the cloud provider will give an environmental rating for every device from servers, network equipment, network storage, HVAC, peripherals, and building systems. Armed with the performance request and the environmental rating, the technology will match up the information with the user’s request.
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement