IBM Patents Sustainable Computing for Data Centers
IBM inventors have patented a technique that enables cloud computing data center operators to dynamically redistribute workloads to lower-powered or underutilized systems, thereby minimizing their energy usage and environmental footprint.
In October, IBM received US Patent #8,549,125: Environmentally sustainable computing in a distributed computer network for the invention.
Keith Walker, IBM Master Inventor and co-inventor on the patent, said there are three main reasons why a data center may want to offer the technology:
- Public Relations
While the data center will save money by rerouting cloud requests with an eye toward energy savings, it can also boast about its sustainability efforts, of importance to many corporations.
“We have invented a way for cloud service providers to more efficiently manage their data centers and, as a result, significantly reduce their environmental impact,” said Walker.
IBM’s patented cloud computing technique can automatically route service requests through network devices, systems and software that process the service while consuming the least amount of electricity. The concept is similar to how energy companies dynamically price and serve energy according to the type of energy a customer needs, how much is required and when it is needed.
Walker said businesses that want to subscribe to the service will tell their cloud computing provider what performance needs they require. Then the cloud provider will give an environmental rating for every device from servers, network equipment, network storage, HVAC, peripherals, and building systems. Armed with the performance request and the environmental rating, the technology will match up the information with the user’s request.
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles