IBM Patents Sustainable Computing for Data Centers
IBM inventors have patented a technique that enables cloud computing data center operators to dynamically redistribute workloads to lower-powered or underutilized systems, thereby minimizing their energy usage and environmental footprint.
In October, IBM received US Patent #8,549,125: Environmentally sustainable computing in a distributed computer network for the invention.
Keith Walker, IBM Master Inventor and co-inventor on the patent, said there are three main reasons why a data center may want to offer the technology:
- Public Relations
While the data center will save money by rerouting cloud requests with an eye toward energy savings, it can also boast about its sustainability efforts, of importance to many corporations.
“We have invented a way for cloud service providers to more efficiently manage their data centers and, as a result, significantly reduce their environmental impact,” said Walker.
IBM’s patented cloud computing technique can automatically route service requests through network devices, systems and software that process the service while consuming the least amount of electricity. The concept is similar to how energy companies dynamically price and serve energy according to the type of energy a customer needs, how much is required and when it is needed.
Walker said businesses that want to subscribe to the service will tell their cloud computing provider what performance needs they require. Then the cloud provider will give an environmental rating for every device from servers, network equipment, network storage, HVAC, peripherals, and building systems. Armed with the performance request and the environmental rating, the technology will match up the information with the user’s request.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Combined Heat and Power
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management