IBM Patents Sustainable Computing for Data Centers
IBM inventors have patented a technique that enables cloud computing data center operators to dynamically redistribute workloads to lower-powered or underutilized systems, thereby minimizing their energy usage and environmental footprint.
In October, IBM received US Patent #8,549,125: Environmentally sustainable computing in a distributed computer network for the invention.
Keith Walker, IBM Master Inventor and co-inventor on the patent, said there are three main reasons why a data center may want to offer the technology:
- Public Relations
While the data center will save money by rerouting cloud requests with an eye toward energy savings, it can also boast about its sustainability efforts, of importance to many corporations.
“We have invented a way for cloud service providers to more efficiently manage their data centers and, as a result, significantly reduce their environmental impact,” said Walker.
IBM’s patented cloud computing technique can automatically route service requests through network devices, systems and software that process the service while consuming the least amount of electricity. The concept is similar to how energy companies dynamically price and serve energy according to the type of energy a customer needs, how much is required and when it is needed.
Walker said businesses that want to subscribe to the service will tell their cloud computing provider what performance needs they require. Then the cloud provider will give an environmental rating for every device from servers, network equipment, network storage, HVAC, peripherals, and building systems. Armed with the performance request and the environmental rating, the technology will match up the information with the user’s request.
- Integrated Building Optimization
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- BuildingIQ Security
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management