IBM Wins UK Defense Contract to Boost Energy Efficiency
IBM has been awarded a UK Defense Infrastructure Organization (DIO) contract to increase energy efficiency across the government agency’s property portfolio.
DIO, an operational arm of the Ministry of Defense (MoD), manages some 4,000 separate sites including military barracks, land, air and naval bases and military training grounds.
Using IBM’s smarter buildings software and services, DIO expects to reduce building energy costs in MoD buildings. IBM’s Tririga Energy Optimization software and consultancy services will allow DIO to collect real-time energy and operations metrics, apply enterprise-wide analytics, and view that data in a dashboard.
IBM bought Tririga last year to bolster its building management offerings by adding “advanced intelligence” that improves real estate performance and capital project management.
Additionally, geospatial mapping, created by business partner Esri UK limited, will provide a real-time visualization map that gives a complete scope of MoD’s infrastructure and assets.
The IBM software and services will also allow processes to be streamlined across MoD by linking with the systems used by DIO’s Next Generation Estate Contracts team. This will reduce reliance on multiple outdated systems, and speed up and improve the flow of information between the organization and its industrial partners.
The upgraded system will be launched in a number of capability releases through April 2014.
The MoD is one of the UK’s largest landowners, covering about 900 square miles and around 45,000 buildings, 55,000 houses and 135,000 single-living bedspaces. It has real estate in Germany, Cyprus and the Falkland Islands, along with facilities in Norway, Poland, Kenya, Canada, Belize, Nepal and Oman.
Buildings account for 45 percent of all carbon emissions in the UK, according to DIO.
Last month, NV Energy selected IBM as the lead systems integrator for the utility’s Advanced Service Delivery (ASD) project in Nevada that includes smart-grid technology, advanced meter infrastructure and meter data management, Environmental Leader reports.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Integrated Building Optimization
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB?
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement