Ideas to Reduce Plug Loads
1. Help occupants improve their energy-saving behavior by providing accurate information about plug loads. For instance, it saves energy to turn off computers, but many people have the mistaken belief that turning them off and on again wastes more energy than it saves.
2. There’s a difference between computer standby mode and idle mode. Make sure computer settings default to standby mode.
3. Implement enterprise-level computer energy management so employees can’t completely override power management settings.
4. Smart plug strips can augment power savings by using timers, load sensors or occupancy sensors to shut off power to certain devices when no one is using them.
Photo: Computers via Shutterstock
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data