LEDs Double Light Intensity When Motion Detected
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne has upgraded some of its parking lot lighting to LEDs, reports The Daily Illini.
Lot E-15 now uses 25 motion-activated LED fixtures thanks to $50,000 in funding from the Student Sustainability Committee.
The fixtures double their intensity when motion is detected, allowing the lights to save energy while also maintaining constant illumination. This allows the lot to cut 50 percent off its lighting energy use, while not cutting lighting by 50 percent, the paper reports.
Additionally, the new lights are expected to last around 100,000 hours each, meaning that the payback period on the initial investment should be just a few years.
The lot is one of the first test locations in the state to feature the technology, the paper reports. Other lots on campus are being lined up for a similar upgrade, the paper reports. The University is planning on being majority LED-lit by 2050.
It used to cost $5,000 to change a single light bulb at the University of Illinois at Chicago - a seperate part of the state’s university system. Back in October, Building Energy Experts completed an LED lighting and control retrofit of the 18,000-sq-ft Student Recreation Facility for the University that will save the building an estimated $20,000 per year in energy costs as well as extraordinary savings in reduced labor costs. The building’s unique architectural details made the project very challenging because the lobby ceiling fixtures are 75 feet up, requiring a specialized man lift at a rental cost of $5,000 per day.
“Basically, it cost $5,000 each time we had to change a light bulb,” said Nate Scott, associate director at the school.
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Integrated Building Optimization
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement