Illinois Town Tests Ice Bear Air Conditioning Technology
Verde Energy Solutions and the City of St. Charles, Ill., are installing an energy storage system at the municipal water treatment laboratory building, located at the City’s Public Works complex.
Ice Energy’s Ice Bear technology will replace an aging air conditioning unit.
The partners will collect data about the Ice Bear technology throughout 2013 and share results about energy efficiencies and grid reliability related to air conditioning.
Ice Bear shifts air conditioning electrical power demand to off-peak hours by using plain water to make ice at night, when the electric grid is generally unstressed. Then, during the hot summer day, when demand goes up and electric prices may be higher, the melting ice bathes the air conditioner’s compressor with cool air so the air conditioning unit uses less energy at a peak demand time to cool the building. The melted water is then recycled through the system when the process begins again the following night.
As part of the partnership, Verde will invest the funds necessary to purchase and install the Ice Bear technology. Through a partnership agreement with Ice Energy, Verde holds the right to distribute Ice Bear technology.
The Illinois Municipal Electric Agency will monitor the progress of the demonstration project. The agency is comprised of 32 electric municipal electric utility departments and one electric co-op, which provides wholesale electric power to its members, including St. Charles.
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Enterprise Internet Of Things: What Is It, and How Will It Improve Energy Management?
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity