Imergy Uses Vanadium from Sludge for Flow Batteries
Imergy Power Systems says it has achieved a milestone in energy storage by developing a process for producing flow batteries with recycled vanadium from mining slag, oil field sludge, fly ash, and other forms of environmental waste.
Imergy says other manufacturers of vanadium flow batteries build their devices with virgin vanadium extracted from mining. It must then be processed to a 99-percent-plus level of purity. Through its R&D program, Imergy has developed a way to produce flow batteries with vanadium at a 98 percent purity level that can be harvested from environmental waste sites.
With this technology Imergy will able to lower the cost of its flow batteries from $500 per kWh to under $300 per kWh.
Imergy is targeting its flow batteries from low-grade vanadium at cell phone operators, solar power plant developers, microgrid owners and other customers who want to manage outages, curb peak power or reduce demand charges.
The waste-stream vanadium is also sustainable for the environment by using an existing product with little or no market value. Thousands of tons of vanadium are brought to the surface each year through worldwide petroleum operations. The mineral then sits in sludge deposits. Tons of vanadium also languish in copper mine tailings.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement