Importance of Energy Management Increases 116%, Says Johnson Controls
A survey conducted by Johnson Controls found energy efficiency interest rose 116 percent globally since 2010, with those who set goals making the greatest strides in reducing energy use.
The 2013 Energy Efficiency Indicator, a global survey of more than 3,000 facilities professionals in 10 countries, indicates that 73 percent of respondents worldwide set energy reduction goals within the last year, up from 58 percent two years ago.
Among the organizations that set public goals, 72 percent plan to increase energy efficiency investments and nearly a third used external financing to meet those goals. Organizations that set public goals also implemented 50 percent more efficiency measures than institutions without goals. The research seems to indicate that accountability drives action when it comes to energy efficiency.
In the United States, 41 percent of decision-makers reduced investments due to uncertainty in government budgeting and tax reform efforts. Global respondents identified the top policies to improve energy efficiency, including tax credits or incentives and rebates for implementing efficiency; low-interest financing for energy upgrades; stricter building codes and equipment standards; and mandatory energy performance disclosure.
Organizations with public goals and external financing implemented 84 percent more efficiency measures and are nearly three times more likely to increase investments compared to organizations with neither public goals nor external financing.
The seventh annual survey of more than 3,000 building owners and operators around the world was led by the Johnson Controls Institute for Building Efficiency, the International Facility Management Association and the Urban Land Institute.
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- The Sustainable Edge™
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity