Importance of Energy Management Increases 116%, Says Johnson Controls
A survey conducted by Johnson Controls found energy efficiency interest rose 116 percent globally since 2010, with those who set goals making the greatest strides in reducing energy use.
The 2013 Energy Efficiency Indicator, a global survey of more than 3,000 facilities professionals in 10 countries, indicates that 73 percent of respondents worldwide set energy reduction goals within the last year, up from 58 percent two years ago.
Among the organizations that set public goals, 72 percent plan to increase energy efficiency investments and nearly a third used external financing to meet those goals. Organizations that set public goals also implemented 50 percent more efficiency measures than institutions without goals. The research seems to indicate that accountability drives action when it comes to energy efficiency.
In the United States, 41 percent of decision-makers reduced investments due to uncertainty in government budgeting and tax reform efforts. Global respondents identified the top policies to improve energy efficiency, including tax credits or incentives and rebates for implementing efficiency; low-interest financing for energy upgrades; stricter building codes and equipment standards; and mandatory energy performance disclosure.
Organizations with public goals and external financing implemented 84 percent more efficiency measures and are nearly three times more likely to increase investments compared to organizations with neither public goals nor external financing.
The seventh annual survey of more than 3,000 building owners and operators around the world was led by the Johnson Controls Institute for Building Efficiency, the International Facility Management Association and the Urban Land Institute.
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide