Indiana Michigan Power Wants to Invest $38M in Solar
Indiana Michigan Power (I&M) plans to build and operate five solar generation facilities, adding to the company’s renewables portfolio, which already includes nuclear, wind and hydro.
If approved by the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC), the Clean Energy Solar Pilot Project will have a combined generation capacity of about 16 MW.
I&M’s Clean Energy Solar generation facilities will be located in different areas of the company’s service territory in the two states. Facilities are tentatively expected to be located in the Muncie-Marion area, South Bend area and in Michigan, but locations of all five facilities have yet to be finalized
Currently, more than one-third of the power I&M produces comes from the emissions-free Cook Nuclear Plant.
Construction of the solar plants is tentatively scheduled to begin in early 2016, with completion expected in late 2016. The estimated cost of the project is $38 million. If approved by the IURC, the project would result in a minimal impact on customer rates of less than 1 percent, says I&M.
The utility says it will use the Clean Energy Solar Pilot Project as an opportunity to study first-hand the various facets of designing, constructing and operating a utility-scale solar facility. In addition, I&M is also seeking approval from state regulators to give customers the option of subscribing to receive 50 kWh blocks of Solar Renewable Energy Credits through the new Green Power Program.
Earlier this year, Indiana legislators voted to shut down the state’s energy efficiency program – Energizing Indiana. The legislation was supported by the state’s utilities.
Photo: Power plant via Shutterstock
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions