Industrial Energy Efficiency Will Depend on Capital Investment in the Future
As the manufacturing sector continues to capture many of the low- and no-cost energy improvement opportunities, future improvements will be increasingly linked to industry’s capital investment activity, according to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) report “Understanding Industrial Investment Decisions.”
Industrial energy program administrators will need a better understanding of capital investment processes as these vary by industry. By influencing capital investment decisions, the next generation of energy efficiency programs can affect industrial energy use for years to come.
Although the manufacturing sector struggled during the past decade, the research found all industries boosted their productivity during this time period, due in part to the closure of older, less efficient facilities. In the short run, this leads to higher capacity utilization as surviving production facilities take up the slack.
In addition, the research notes a new trend of companies bringing their foreign production facilities back to the US. And with the $2.2 trillion cash balances accumulated by public corporations over the past decade, it’s likely to drive capital investment in new, domestic manufacturing production facilities.
This industrial renewal is an opportunity to lock in energy savings for a generation for the U.S., and should be taken advantage of by state and utility energy programs, said Christopher Russell, co-author of the report. A strategic approach would fold energy efficiency into the design and construction of new production facilities and modernization of existing plants.
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Managing Enterprise Assets and IT Assets in a Converged World
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- How to Reduce Cost by Increasing Accountability for Energy Efficiency
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems