Industry Accounts for 33% of US Primary Energy Use
A guide developed by the State and Local Energy Efficiency Action Network says that industry accounted for about one-third of the nation’s total primary energy consumption in 2012, and the potential cost-effective energy savings in US industry amounts to about 6,420 trillion British thermal units of primary energy, according to a comprehensive 2009 analysis by McKinsey & Company.
The report “Industrial Energy Efficiency: Designing Effective State Programs for the Industrial Sector,” found the energy intensity of production in industrial subsectors varies widely, from 52.3 end-use Btu per dollar of value added in cement production, to 0.4 Btu per dollar in computer assembly. Opportunities for subsector-specific processes make up 67 percent of the energy savings potential, while opportunities in energy support systems, such as steam systems and motor systems, comprise the remaining 33 percent.
The report says there is wide variation in the types of industrial energy efficiency programs pursued by states and utilities, but there are 10 energy efficiency program features that consistently add value to industrial customers:
- Clearly demonstrating the value proposition of energy efficiency projects to companies.
- Developing long-term relationships with industrial customers that include continual joint efforts to identify efficiency projects.
- Ensuring program administrators have industrial sector credibility and offer quality technical expertise.
- Offering a combination of prescriptive and custom options to best support diverse customer needs.
- Accommodating scheduling concerns.
- Streamlining and expediting application processes.
- Conducting continual and targeted program outreach.
- Leveraging partnerships.
- Setting medium- to long-term goals as an investment signal for industrial customers.
- Undertaking proper project measurement and verification and completing program evaluations.
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- Integrated Building Optimization
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement