Intermountain Healthcare Saves 82% on Energy Costs
Intermountain has spent about $3.5 million on its energy management program and has already recouped $2 million in energy cost savings. The company says every dollar of energy savings equates to saving $20 dollars overall.
The company says the selection of Coolerado is a continuation of this program. Coolerado shows an 88 percent decrease in environmental impact with its air conditioners owning an Energy Efficiency Rating of about 42 versus 13 to 18 for a typical cooling unit, says the company.
Intermountain predicts a full return on investment in less than five years and the fact that Coolerado uses 100 percent fresh outside air that’s filtered before it is cooled means fewer germs, less dust, pollen, and allergens. By utilizing Coolerado’s M50s, Intermountain will be exceeding American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers’ guidance for operating rooms, which prescribes changing the air out 4 times per hour.
The patented technology is based on its M-Cycle Indirect Evaporative Cooling, a breakthrough in thermodynamics. After a demonstration at the hospital, Intermountain noted the small packaged Coolerado array generates the performance of an IDEC system without the need of a cooling tower or fluid cooler. Coolerado has had similar success at other institutions and at high usage locations like data centers.
Intermountain is the largest private employer in the state of Utah with over 34,000 employees, 22 hospitals and 185 clinics taking up over 16 million square feet of building space.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Support Lean Manufacturing Principles with IBM Maximo Asset Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room