Intermountain Healthcare Saves 82% on Energy Costs
Intermountain has spent about $3.5 million on its energy management program and has already recouped $2 million in energy cost savings. The company says every dollar of energy savings equates to saving $20 dollars overall.
The company says the selection of Coolerado is a continuation of this program. Coolerado shows an 88 percent decrease in environmental impact with its air conditioners owning an Energy Efficiency Rating of about 42 versus 13 to 18 for a typical cooling unit, says the company.
Intermountain predicts a full return on investment in less than five years and the fact that Coolerado uses 100 percent fresh outside air that’s filtered before it is cooled means fewer germs, less dust, pollen, and allergens. By utilizing Coolerado’s M50s, Intermountain will be exceeding American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers’ guidance for operating rooms, which prescribes changing the air out 4 times per hour.
The patented technology is based on its M-Cycle Indirect Evaporative Cooling, a breakthrough in thermodynamics. After a demonstration at the hospital, Intermountain noted the small packaged Coolerado array generates the performance of an IDEC system without the need of a cooling tower or fluid cooler. Coolerado has had similar success at other institutions and at high usage locations like data centers.
Intermountain is the largest private employer in the state of Utah with over 34,000 employees, 22 hospitals and 185 clinics taking up over 16 million square feet of building space.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year