International Paper Joins Better Plants Program
International Paper has become a voluntary partner of the US Department of Energy (DOE) Better Plants program.
International Paper joins more than 100 other companies working with DOE to implement cost-effective energy efficiency improvements.
As a program partner, IP has committed to a goal of achieving at least a 25 percent reduction in energy intensity from a 2009 baseline, over 10 years, across its US facilities. IP has specifically pledged to:
- Within 12 months, establish an energy use and energy intensity baseline, develop an energy management plan and designate an energy leader.
- Take concrete steps to reduce energy intensity at its sites.
- Report its energy intensity and energy use data, and chart its progress against the 25 percent goal, annually to the DOE.
In 2012, International Paper was one of 20 organizations, and the only forest products company, to win the Environmental Protection Agency’s inaugural Climate Leadership Award for achieving voluntary fossil fuel GHG reductions of more than 40 percent from 2000 to 2010. The company already generates 70 percent of its US energy needs sustainably, from renewable biomass.
The Better Plants program sits within DOE’s Advanced Manufacturing Office, which works with diverse partners to develop and deploy technologies and practices that will help US manufacturers. The same DOE office also handles The Better Buildings program as well as the Better Buildings, Better Plants Challenge.
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Enterprise Internet Of Things: What Is It, and How Will It Improve Energy Management?
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software