International Paper Joins Better Plants Program
International Paper has become a voluntary partner of the US Department of Energy (DOE) Better Plants program.
International Paper joins more than 100 other companies working with DOE to implement cost-effective energy efficiency improvements.
As a program partner, IP has committed to a goal of achieving at least a 25 percent reduction in energy intensity from a 2009 baseline, over 10 years, across its US facilities. IP has specifically pledged to:
- Within 12 months, establish an energy use and energy intensity baseline, develop an energy management plan and designate an energy leader.
- Take concrete steps to reduce energy intensity at its sites.
- Report its energy intensity and energy use data, and chart its progress against the 25 percent goal, annually to the DOE.
In 2012, International Paper was one of 20 organizations, and the only forest products company, to win the Environmental Protection Agency’s inaugural Climate Leadership Award for achieving voluntary fossil fuel GHG reductions of more than 40 percent from 2000 to 2010. The company already generates 70 percent of its US energy needs sustainably, from renewable biomass.
The Better Plants program sits within DOE’s Advanced Manufacturing Office, which works with diverse partners to develop and deploy technologies and practices that will help US manufacturers. The same DOE office also handles The Better Buildings program as well as the Better Buildings, Better Plants Challenge.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management