Invenergy Gives GE Wind Turbines with Integrated Battery a Spin
The 2.5-120 Brilliant turbine integrates GE’s Durathon battery technology into the wind turbine along with three software application choices.
The software system analyzes thousands of data points every second to help manage wind variability and provide short-term predictable power, while communicating with neighboring turbines, service technicians and operators.
The 2.5-120 Brilliant turbines are scheduled to be installed this year at the Goldthwaite Wind Energy facility, currently under construction in central Texas. The project is expected to commence full commercial operation by the end of 2013. Subsequently, Invenergy will be among the first power producers to test the benefits of data-driven, turbine-to-battery communication in predicting wind power production in 15-60-minute increments.
Operators can select from three battery-enabled software applications or a combination of applications that best suits individual site needs. The applications are:
Ramp Control: When wind speed increases quickly, the grid cannot always absorb the extra power produced. GE’s Ramp Control App allows the Brilliant turbine to capture “wasted” wind power and store it in the battery.
Predictable Power: Power producers must be able to provide consistent and predictable power to the grid, but the variability of wind can make smooth grid integration challenging. The Predictable Power App allows the turbine to smooth out the short-term peaks and valleys in wind power and make it predictable over periods of 15-60 minutes.
Frequency Regulation: Power demand changes throughout the day, and grid operators must keep up with its constant fluctuation. Grid operators look to power producers to respond rapidly to keep the grid balanced. The Frequency Regulation App allows wind farms to store energy in the battery and respond immediately to load changes with precision.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- ARC Brief: Infrastructure: The Hidden Optimization Opportunity
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing