Invenergy Gives GE Wind Turbines with Integrated Battery a Spin
The 2.5-120 Brilliant turbine integrates GE’s Durathon battery technology into the wind turbine along with three software application choices.
The software system analyzes thousands of data points every second to help manage wind variability and provide short-term predictable power, while communicating with neighboring turbines, service technicians and operators.
The 2.5-120 Brilliant turbines are scheduled to be installed this year at the Goldthwaite Wind Energy facility, currently under construction in central Texas. The project is expected to commence full commercial operation by the end of 2013. Subsequently, Invenergy will be among the first power producers to test the benefits of data-driven, turbine-to-battery communication in predicting wind power production in 15-60-minute increments.
Operators can select from three battery-enabled software applications or a combination of applications that best suits individual site needs. The applications are:
Ramp Control: When wind speed increases quickly, the grid cannot always absorb the extra power produced. GE’s Ramp Control App allows the Brilliant turbine to capture “wasted” wind power and store it in the battery.
Predictable Power: Power producers must be able to provide consistent and predictable power to the grid, but the variability of wind can make smooth grid integration challenging. The Predictable Power App allows the turbine to smooth out the short-term peaks and valleys in wind power and make it predictable over periods of 15-60 minutes.
Frequency Regulation: Power demand changes throughout the day, and grid operators must keep up with its constant fluctuation. Grid operators look to power producers to respond rapidly to keep the grid balanced. The Frequency Regulation App allows wind farms to store energy in the battery and respond immediately to load changes with precision.
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Johnson & Johnson: Innovating in Business by Making Sustainability Personal
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide