Iowa Water/Wastewater Pursue SEP Certification
The City of Des Moines Water Reclamation Authority and Des Moines Water Works have signed agreements with the US Department of Energy Advanced Manufacturing Office to pursue Superior Energy Performance (SEP) certification.
Water/wastewater is an energy-intensive operation. There are in excess of 75,000 water and wastewater systems in the United States, over 500 in the state of Iowa alone, estimated to consume over 150 billion kWh a year, about 5 percent of the total US electricity consumed, according to the US Energy Information Administration.
About 80 percent of the water/wastewater energy consumption at the Iowa facilities is by motors and motor-driven systems, according to Bill Miller, Des Moines’ Water Reclamation Authority risk & reliability manager. Therefore, most of the energy efficiency gains for water/wastewater systems can be realized through the process of making water pumping and aeration systems more efficient.
The SEP program will build upon the City of Des Moines’ and Des Moines Water Works’ existing infrastructure and operating technology investments, including both Motors@Work and Infor’s Energy Performance Management. The organizations will also work off the results of US manufacturing companies that have already achieved SEP certification, which involves implementing the ISO 50001 energy management standard.
The Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) is also working closely with both The City of Des Moines and Des Moines Water Works to replicate the water/wastewater energy efficiency capabilities throughout the State.
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity