Iowa Water/Wastewater Pursue SEP Certification
The City of Des Moines Water Reclamation Authority and Des Moines Water Works have signed agreements with the US Department of Energy Advanced Manufacturing Office to pursue Superior Energy Performance (SEP) certification.
Water/wastewater is an energy-intensive operation. There are in excess of 75,000 water and wastewater systems in the United States, over 500 in the state of Iowa alone, estimated to consume over 150 billion kWh a year, about 5 percent of the total US electricity consumed, according to the US Energy Information Administration.
About 80 percent of the water/wastewater energy consumption at the Iowa facilities is by motors and motor-driven systems, according to Bill Miller, Des Moines’ Water Reclamation Authority risk & reliability manager. Therefore, most of the energy efficiency gains for water/wastewater systems can be realized through the process of making water pumping and aeration systems more efficient.
The SEP program will build upon the City of Des Moines’ and Des Moines Water Works’ existing infrastructure and operating technology investments, including both Motors@Work and Infor’s Energy Performance Management. The organizations will also work off the results of US manufacturing companies that have already achieved SEP certification, which involves implementing the ISO 50001 energy management standard.
The Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) is also working closely with both The City of Des Moines and Des Moines Water Works to replicate the water/wastewater energy efficiency capabilities throughout the State.
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- There’s Money in the Trash
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers