Irish University Hosts $11.3M Energy Research Center
Northern Ireland’s Queen’s University Belfast is creating a new $11.3 million research center to pioneer advances in sustainable energy technologies. The Centre for Advanced Sustainable Energy (CASE) will create 15 new research posts and will focus on the development of innovative technologies for the sustainable energy sector.
The Centre will be industry-led and draw upon the research capabilities of Queen’s, the University of Ulster and the Agri-Food Biosciences Institute (AFBI). CASE has been offered $8 million of support from Invest NI, supporting industry led research in a key strategic sector for the Northern Ireland economy.
In the United States, Penn State University is creating an Energy Efficient Buildings (EEB) Hub at Philadelphia’s Navy Yard, involving both a new building and the renovation of a 1940s building. The 35,000-sq-foot renovated building, renamed the Center for Building Energy Science, will function as a living laboratory, showcasing multiple energy saving technologies. The intent is to demonstrate how integrated design and construction methods can result in the cost-effective reduction of building energy use. EEB Hub, which is sponsored by the Department of Energy, performs research to develop and integrate materials, technologies, models and tools to optimize whole building energy performance.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison built a Wisconsin Energy Institute (WEI) designed to incorporate the energy efficiency that will be studied there. The Institute houses research in advanced fuels, renewable energy and energy storage systems. The WEI building brings engineers and biological and physical scientists together to create integrated clean energy systems that both increase energy efficiency and diversify the energy sector. The laboratories, imaging and computational spaces inside of the WEI will allow agronomists, biologists, chemists, computer scientists, ecologists, engineers and mathematicians to collaboratively develop future energy systems.
- Integrated Building Optimization
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management