Irish University Hosts $11.3M Energy Research Center
Northern Ireland’s Queen’s University Belfast is creating a new $11.3 million research center to pioneer advances in sustainable energy technologies. The Centre for Advanced Sustainable Energy (CASE) will create 15 new research posts and will focus on the development of innovative technologies for the sustainable energy sector.
The Centre will be industry-led and draw upon the research capabilities of Queen’s, the University of Ulster and the Agri-Food Biosciences Institute (AFBI). CASE has been offered $8 million of support from Invest NI, supporting industry led research in a key strategic sector for the Northern Ireland economy.
In the United States, Penn State University is creating an Energy Efficient Buildings (EEB) Hub at Philadelphia’s Navy Yard, involving both a new building and the renovation of a 1940s building. The 35,000-sq-foot renovated building, renamed the Center for Building Energy Science, will function as a living laboratory, showcasing multiple energy saving technologies. The intent is to demonstrate how integrated design and construction methods can result in the cost-effective reduction of building energy use. EEB Hub, which is sponsored by the Department of Energy, performs research to develop and integrate materials, technologies, models and tools to optimize whole building energy performance.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison built a Wisconsin Energy Institute (WEI) designed to incorporate the energy efficiency that will be studied there. The Institute houses research in advanced fuels, renewable energy and energy storage systems. The WEI building brings engineers and biological and physical scientists together to create integrated clean energy systems that both increase energy efficiency and diversify the energy sector. The laboratories, imaging and computational spaces inside of the WEI will allow agronomists, biologists, chemists, computer scientists, ecologists, engineers and mathematicians to collaboratively develop future energy systems.
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Enterprise Internet Of Things: What Is It, and How Will It Improve Energy Management?
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape