Is the Grid Ready for Distributed Resources?
The Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) is studying the transformation of the electric power grid brought about by large numbers of rooftop solar panels and high tech microgrids.
Few organizations have looked at how these technologies could be integrated into the electric power systems so customers can enjoy the benefit of both the central power system and the distributed technologies in the most cost-effective way, EPRI says. The potential for this “integrated grid” is a transformation in the ways that electric power is supplied and used.
This transformation could be fundamental, which would require assessments of the costs and opportunities of different technological and policy pathways to fully integrate DER.
The new paper is the first in a series of integrated grid studies from EPRI and outlines an action plan that needs to be addressed by all stakeholders with examples to support fact-based discussions. The study builds upon EPRI research the lessons learned from Germany’s experience with the extensive deployment of distributed solar PV and wind resources. The paper describes a critical need for collaborative solutions, including:
Updating interconnection rules and communication standards that enable distributed resources to integrate with the grid;
- Deploying advanced distribution and reliability technologies that provide flexibility and connectivity for distributed resources and system operators;
- Integrating DER into grid planning and operation;
- Informing policy and regulation to enable transformation to the Integrated Grid.
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The Top 5 Things You Should Know about Big Energy Data
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement