Is the Grid Ready for Distributed Resources?
The Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) is studying the transformation of the electric power grid brought about by large numbers of rooftop solar panels and high tech microgrids.
Few organizations have looked at how these technologies could be integrated into the electric power systems so customers can enjoy the benefit of both the central power system and the distributed technologies in the most cost-effective way, EPRI says. The potential for this “integrated grid” is a transformation in the ways that electric power is supplied and used.
This transformation could be fundamental, which would require assessments of the costs and opportunities of different technological and policy pathways to fully integrate DER.
The new paper is the first in a series of integrated grid studies from EPRI and outlines an action plan that needs to be addressed by all stakeholders with examples to support fact-based discussions. The study builds upon EPRI research the lessons learned from Germany’s experience with the extensive deployment of distributed solar PV and wind resources. The paper describes a critical need for collaborative solutions, including:
Updating interconnection rules and communication standards that enable distributed resources to integrate with the grid;
- Deploying advanced distribution and reliability technologies that provide flexibility and connectivity for distributed resources and system operators;
- Integrating DER into grid planning and operation;
- Informing policy and regulation to enable transformation to the Integrated Grid.
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- The Sustainable Edge™