ISO 50001 Energy-Management Certification Saves Tech Company $2M Per Year
STMicroelectronics says that all six of its factories where it manufactures silicon wafers have achieved certification to the latest ISO 50001 energy-management standard.
The certification process involved developing tools to systematically measure the energy consumption of each piece of equipment, including buildings and chiller and compressed dry-air equipment, and to analyze the sites’ overall energy usage.
A common platform, which includes a documentation database, reporting tools and processes, has been developed and shared internally to establish and promote best practices.
ST estimates that the certification process will contribute to saving 14 GWh of energy and $2 million in the 2013-2014 timeframe.
ST’s Agrate site in Italy was the first to achieve the ISO 50001 certification, followed by Catania in Italy and ST’s other front-end sites in France (Crolles, Rousset, Tours) and Singapore (Ang Mo Kio). Each manufacturing site is committed to implementing energy-performance indicators to both monitor and optimize its consumption of electricity and natural gas and explore all opportunities to minimize the amount of energy used, reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Because STMicroelectronics develops products and technologies to enable low energy consumption for the end user, executive management felt it was complementary for its manufacturing sites producing those products to be ISO 50001-certified.
Superseding previous national and regional standards, ISO 50001, introduced in June 2011, is based on the four-step cycle (plan-do-check-act) to implement change and continuous improvement that is the basis of ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and other established management standards.
- Combined Heat and Power
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software