It Cost ‘$5,000 to Change a Light Bulb’ at University of Illinois
Building Energy Experts just completed an LED lighting and control retrofit of the 18,000-sq-ft Student Recreation Facility for The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). The project will save the building an estimated $20,000 per year in energy costs as well as extraordinary savings in reduced labor costs.
The building’s unique architectural details made the project very challenging because the lobby ceiling fixtures are 75 feet up, requiring a specialized man lift at a rental cost of $5,000.00 per day.
“Basically, it cost $5,000.00 each time we had to change a light bulb,” said Nate Scott, associate director at the school.
UIC chose to replace the current lighting with LED lighting, which is now consuming almost 75 percent less energy, says Building Energy Experts.
The indoor multi activity court (MAC), fitness/weight room floor areas and racquetball courts were also retrofitted with energy efficient LED fixtures, which last 100,000 hours versus 20,000 hours of the previous system. The lighting fixtures were integrated into a daylight and occupancy controls system, which can be controlled with an app on a dedicated Apple device. The light levels have the capability to be adjusted manually according to the scheduling of each area.
A portion of this Project was funded by an Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity grant made available to various state facilities for building efficiency upgrades. With incentives, UIC’s return on investment will be less than one year in energy savings alone.
UIC recently announced it had signed a $63.6 million energy savings performance contract (ESPC) with Ameresco, which is expected to save the University more than $1.8 million in avoided energy costs annually for the 20 year term, and includes energy efficiency and infrastructure upgrades to UIC’s Science and Engineering Laboratories Complex, consisting of four teaching and laboratory buildings and a supporting office building, totaling more than 1.2 million square feet.
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future