Itron Delivers 2M Smart Meters for Pennsylvanians
FirstEnergy has signed a contract to deploy Itron’s OpenWay smart grid solution across its four Pennsylvania-based utilities, including Metropolitan Edison, Pennsylvania Electric, Pennsylvania Power and West Penn Power. The contract signing follows approval from the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission.
FirstEnergy will install more than 2 million Itron smart meters over the next several years, meeting all the requirements outlined in Act 129 passed by the Pennsylvania legislature in 2008 to increase energy efficiency in the state.
Itron will also implement back-office data collection software, including Itron’s meter data management, collection engine and reporting software, and Cisco’s Connected Grid Network Management System.
In August 2013, Philadelphia-based utility PECO said it had installed about 700,000 smart meters across its service territory since March 2012 and will complete the deployment of smart meters to all 1.6 million its customers, both residential and commercial, by the end of 2014 – five years ahead of its original schedule.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- There’s Money in the Trash