Jewelry Stores Switch to LED, Save Up To 25%
Riddle’s Jewelry is changing halogen bulbs in its 57 locations to GE’s LED replacement lamps, saving 20 to 25 percent in annual jewelry store lighting costs.
Riddle’s Jewelry locations house between 80 and 210 spotlight fixtures, depending on store size. With the retrofit, the retailer is moving from 75-watt halogen lamps to GE’s 20-watt PAR38 LED replacement lamps.
At locations that have used GE’s LED replacement lamps for more than one year, Riddle’s has seen lighting energy cost savings between $100 and $150 a month in smaller stores (80-100 fixtures) and from $175 to $225 in larger stores (up to 210 fixtures), based on a $.10 per kWh rate and 4,000 hours of operation annually.
These savings are also the result of reduced loads on building cooling systems―each Riddle’s store typically runs its air conditioning throughout the year because of the heat generated by halogen lighting. GE’s new LED replacement lamps stay cooler than the halogen bulbs, and though Riddle’s has not yet recorded exact load reductions, store managers have reported a noticeable decrease in the cooling demand on HVAC units.
The jewelry stores also had to consider the aesthetic affect of LED lighting because lighting plays an important role in their business, highlighting precious stones. The owners say they are happy with the LED effect.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Integrated Building Optimization
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement