Johnson Controls Wins 2013 Edison Award for Energy Storage
Johnson Controls won a 2013 Edison Gold Award for its recent collaboration with the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee (UWM) for their work in the area of energy storage.
Johnson Controls was presented with the gold award in the Living, Working and Learning Environments Category for its Energy Advancement and Research Lab and Showcase on the UWM campus. The Energy Advancement Research Lab creates an environment for Johnson Controls scientists to work with UWM students and faculty in dedicated space to conduct research, enhance the university’s advanced energy curriculum and accelerate Johnson Controls‘ exploration and development of next generation energy storage technologies.
The manufacturing dry lab enables “fast fail” experimentation to accelerate the development and commercialization of advanced energy storage technologies. “Fast fail” experimentation allows researchers to move quickly to deliver against anticipated project outcomes and the ability to stop if the outcomes are not met within a certain timeframe.
In Pennsylvania, Penn State University is creating an Energy Efficient Buildings (EEB) Hub at Philadelphia’s Navy Yard, involving both a new building and the renovation of a 1940s building. The EEB Hub, which is sponsored by the Department of Energy, will be used to perform research to develop and integrate materials, technologies, models and tools to optimize whole building energy performance.
And the University of Wisconsin-Madison recently opened its new Wisconsin Energy Institute (WEI) building, which is on track to receive LEED Gold certification. The Institute will house research in advanced fuels, renewable energy and energy storage systems.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Combined Heat and Power
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management