Kent State Chooses Induction Lighting for Campus-Wide Energy Retrofit
Kent State University has replaced 104 metal halide 400 W light fixtures with EverLast Acrylic High Bay 300 W induction fixtures in its student recreation and fitness center. The retrofit is part of Kent State’s campus wide energy-efficiency program.
The light fixtures are 50–70 percent more energy efficient than metal halides and last up to 100,000 hours.
The university was looking for a solution that would provide effective, consistent, long-lasting light for its recreation and fitness center. Several fixtures are 40 feet in the air and are on up to 14 hours per day. Induction provided the university with the necessary light and little to no glare. The EverLast fixtures have a prismatic lens that increases footcandles on the floor. The LED fixtures that the university considered were visually uncomfortable because of glare issues, according to the school.
Kent State anticipates an energy saving in excess of $10,000 a year after installing the EverLast fixtures.
Induction lighting is a relatively new entrant into the lighting market. The technology is best known for its use in electric appliance motors and construction cranes.
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- 4 Reasons Operations Teams Can’t Live Without Real-Time Building Data
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management