Kohl’s Activates Solar Array at E-Commerce Distribution Center
Kohl’s Department Stores is the third largest corporate solar user in the US according to a November report by the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and the Vote Solar Initiative (Vote Solar).
Now, Kohl’s has activated another solar project, this time at its million-sq-foot e-commerce fulfillment center in Edgewood, Md., which will generate more than 3 million kWh of electricity annually and provide more than 40 percent of the facility’s energy. The 2.4 MW, 8,360-panel rooftop solar array is the company’s largest solar system.
Until this project, Kohl’s largest solar site was its San Bernardino, Calif., distribution center with a 1 MW, 6,208-panel rooftop solar array. Kohl’s solar portfolio now totals nearly 42 MW, generating more than 57,400 MWh of electricity annually.
The Edgewood facility recently earned Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification from the US Green Building Council at the gold level. In addition to its rooftop solar panels, the facility includes high-efficiency lighting, advanced air conditioning and heating systems and an integrated control system to monitor space conditions, helping to make the energy use in the building 46 percent more efficient than a building designed to baseline energy codes.
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Beyond Equipment Management by Spreadsheets
- Managing Enterprise Assets and IT Assets in a Converged World
- 5 Must-Have Utility Billing Alerts
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems