KT Expands into Energy Sector
KT, formerly Korea Telecom, is expanding its services offerings to include energy services. According to a Korea Bizwire article, KT will be turning its 400 branch offices and data centers into advanced energy centers.
Electric vehicle (EV) charging stations will be installed at each of KT’s branch offices. The EV charging infrastructure will be further expanded in cooperation with local government and public agencies. KT will use Internet of Things technology to manage the EV charging infrastructure.
The telecom will recycle and reuse waste heat from its data center air conditioning units. Using smart grid technology, it plans to develop an optimized control engine for an energy storage system (ESS) and energy management system (EMS), which will allow it to estimate energy demand in advance.
Through its ESS, KT plans to help industrial complexes reduce their energy bills by 15 percent in 2015.
On the consumer side, KT will offer optimized EMS to companies that install consumer-site energy-saving devices.
Photo via Shutterstock
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Combined Heat and Power
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex