Labor Unions Create Net Zero Plus Electrical Training
Two union groups in Los Angeles are creating a net zero energy training program and retrofitting a building where the training will be conducted.
The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 11 and the Los Angeles Chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association have created Net Zero Plus (NZP), which unites energy efficiency practices, clean-energy technologies and career development at a newly expanded Net Zero Plus Electrical Training Institute (NZP ETI).
The unions are working with industry partners including: PDE Total Energy Solutions, Environmental Building Strategies, Dynapower, General Electric, Lutron and Kyocera, among others.
A 142,000-sq-foot building is being retrofitted for NZP ETI as a Net Zero Plus building, generating more energy than its annual energy demand of nearly 1 MW.
The NZP ETI will feature small commercial to utility-scale operational microgrids, which will demonstrate how an existing electrical infrastructure integrated with advanced electronics, battery storage, PV solar panels, and advanced lighting controls can provide a platform for smarter and more reliable electrical systems. The utility-scale system will also integrate 12 electrical vehicle charging stations and a high efficiency chilled water mechanical system.
In addition to the these technologies, the facility will also utilize energy efficient building design features including plug load strategies, data management, operable and dimmable skylights, highly efficient industrial fans, new roof and wall insulation, LED lighting, an exterior solar shading device to reduce solar heat gains, and a high Solar Reflective Index (SRI) roofing material.
The retrofitted NZP ETI will open July 4, 2015.
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- There’s Money in the Trash
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year