Labor Unions Create Net Zero Plus Electrical Training
Two union groups in Los Angeles are creating a net zero energy training program and retrofitting a building where the training will be conducted.
The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 11 and the Los Angeles Chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association have created Net Zero Plus (NZP), which unites energy efficiency practices, clean-energy technologies and career development at a newly expanded Net Zero Plus Electrical Training Institute (NZP ETI).
The unions are working with industry partners including: PDE Total Energy Solutions, Environmental Building Strategies, Dynapower, General Electric, Lutron and Kyocera, among others.
A 142,000-sq-foot building is being retrofitted for NZP ETI as a Net Zero Plus building, generating more energy than its annual energy demand of nearly 1 MW.
The NZP ETI will feature small commercial to utility-scale operational microgrids, which will demonstrate how an existing electrical infrastructure integrated with advanced electronics, battery storage, PV solar panels, and advanced lighting controls can provide a platform for smarter and more reliable electrical systems. The utility-scale system will also integrate 12 electrical vehicle charging stations and a high efficiency chilled water mechanical system.
In addition to the these technologies, the facility will also utilize energy efficient building design features including plug load strategies, data management, operable and dimmable skylights, highly efficient industrial fans, new roof and wall insulation, LED lighting, an exterior solar shading device to reduce solar heat gains, and a high Solar Reflective Index (SRI) roofing material.
The retrofitted NZP ETI will open July 4, 2015.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement