Large Price Increases Sock New England, Pacific Northwest
The US Energy Information Administration reported that wholesale, on-peak electricity prices were up across the nation from 2012 to 2013, especially in New England and the Pacific Northwest. The price increases were driven largely by increases in spot natural gas prices.
Electricity in the Pacific Northwest is typically among the least expensive in the nation because of the regional concentration of hydroelectric generation. A dry spring contributed to prices not dropping to as low as 2012 levels.
Colder-than-normal temperatures in December led to short-term spikes in both the natural gas and power markets.
Cold weather taxed the strained natural gas pipeline system in New England, leading to day-ahead power prices in excess of $200 per MWh in January and February 2013. Cold weather in late November and early December led to a second spike in both the natural gas and power markets.
A cool August kept power prices low in Texas in 2013. Higher natural gas prices caused most of the other wholesale power markets in the country to have higher electricity prices in 2013.
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement