Largest Kan. Rooftop Array Set for IKEA
IKEA will begin constructing the largest rooftop solar array in Kansas next month, pending permits.
The 92,000-sq-foot solar array will consist of a 869.25kW system, built with 2,850 panels, and will produce about 1,348,000 kWh annually for the store. It will sit atop the roof of the company’s Mirriam, Kan., store.
Chicago-based SoCore Energy developed, designed and will install the system.
IKEA Merriam will also feature a geothermal component in its heating and cooling system, making it the second of the company’s stores to do so, after its Denver-area store.
Constructing the closed-loop ground source heat pump system involved drilling 180 boreholes – six inches in diameter and 600 feet deep – into the earth across part of the 19-acre IKEA parcel. Pipes placed into these boreholes form an underground network of loops for circulating 36,000 gallons of heat-transferring liquid (a water-based, anti-freeze solution) connected to 64 forced-air heat pumps to cool and heat the store. This system also includes five hot-water heat pumps to provide potable hot water needed for the store’s lavatory and restaurant operations.
In April, the company announced its first wind farm investment in the United States with the purchase of Hoopeston Wind in Hoopeston, Ill. The 98 MW wind farm is the largest single IKEA Group renewable energy investment globally to date. Hoopeston Wind is expected to generate up to 380 GWh of renewable energy each year, which is equivalent to 165 percent of the electricity consumed by IKEA US. The company’s portfolio currently includes 38 stores, five distribution centers, two service centers and one factory.
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Combined Heat and Power
- Dawn of the Building Performance Era
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green
- The Sustainable Edge™