Largest Urban Rooftop Solar Program Online
Solar panels atop buildings in Los Angeles have begun providing energy though a program that supporters say is the largest urban rooftop solar program in the US, the Los Angeles Times reports.
The Clean LA Solar program allows property owners to sell solar power generated from rooftops and parking lots back to the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, using a 150-megawatt feed-in tariff. The LA City Council approved the plan in April.
The Los Angeles Business Council says it will create 4,500 jobs, generate $500 million in economic activity and offset 2.25 million tons of carbon dioxide emissions by 2016.
Clean LA Solar will help the city do its part to meet California’s mandate to generate 33 percent of electricity using renewable sources by 2020. City officials tell the Los Angeles Times that they expect the solar purchasing program will help LA reach 25 percent of the state mandate by 2016.
The program’s proponents hope to expand the initial 150 MW goal to reach 600 MW over the next several years.
California ISO said solar power in California set an all-time high output of 2,071 MW on June 7. The new record doubles the amount of solar power in California since September 2012 when solar peaked at 1,000 MW. California is the largest producer of solar power in the nation.
Earlier this week, Wells Fargo subsidiaries announced plans to invest more than $100 million of tax equity financing in 2013 and 2014 combined to fund US solar photovoltaic distributed generation power projects developed by SunEdison.
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement