Las Vegas School District Saves $12,500 per Day from Lighting Retrofit
The Clark County School District (CCSD) in Las Vegas – the fifth largest school district in the nation – retrofitted lighting at 152 of the older schools in its 357-school district and is reaping savings of $12,500 per day, based on the 180-day school year.
Nevada’s primary utility NV Energy partnered with the school district for the upgrade, which replaced existing fluorescent lights and ballasts with new T-8 fluorescents and ballasts at 152 of the older schools that had the least efficient lighting. The project was completed in December 2011, and the school district has seen savings of 21.4 million kWh annually since the retrofit, which equates to $2.25 million per year, according to Dick Cuppett, energy manager with the Clark County School District.
In addition, in fiscal 2012, the district earned $790,000 in utility rebates for reduced electricity use to help offset its approximately $40 million per year utility bill.
John Hargrove, NV Energy’s renewables program manager who oversees the utility’s Energy Smart Schools Program, said “CCSD is our second or third largest customer, and in a town like Las Vegas that’s no small feat.”
The utility worked closely with the school district over several years, pushing forward the lighting retrofit to help save the district substantial money.
Besides energy savings, the district will save maintenance dollars since staff doesn’t have to change lighting fixtures in the retrofitted schools for 10 years. Also, the new lights don’t generate as much heat as conventional bulbs, so air conditioning costs are reduced.
Cuppett employs four “night rangers” who work from midnight to 8 am and rotate through each school in the district, checking for lights, computers and heating or air conditioning systems left on.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Descriptive, Predictive, Prescriptive: Transforming Asset and Facilities Management with Analytics
- Support Lean Manufacturing Principles with IBM Maximo Asset Management
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing