LED Street Lights Save Las Vegas $2 Million Per Year
Las Vegas has installed 42,000 new LED streetlights and is saving $2 million a year on reduced electricity bills and maintenance costs.
The new LEDs cut the city’s electricity bill for streetlights in half, and the new bulbs last almost three times as long as the old bulbs before they must be replaced, reducing the city’s maintenance costs.
Tom Perrigo, the City of Las Vegas’ sustainability officer, said the retrofit cost $20.8 million, the bulk of it financed through a $17 million general obligation bond and the remainder financed through energy conservation bonds and a federal grant.
Las Vegas was also awarded by its utility NV Energy with about $841,000 in rebates for energy savings through the NV Energy Surebet Streetlight Retrofit program. The city’s project helps the utility meet its state-mandated goals for energy efficiency. In addition, the city received $5 each for recycling the old streetlights.
“What I’m seeing so far is that we’re actually exceeding our projected savings,” said Perrigo. “Payback for the entire cost of the project will take seven to 10 years.”
The new lights are expected to last 10-13 years before replacement. The $2 million in annual savings goes to a special revenue fund to finance other green projects, including a 300 kW solar installation and renovation of a million square feet of public buildings to higher energy efficiency standards.
The new LEDs were installed on all residential, collector and arterial streets with the exception of about 10,000 decorative lights that will be replaced in the next and final phase of the streetlight retrofit program.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management