LED Update: Copenhagen Smart Network, Nissan Dealership
Silver Spring Networks will deliver its open standards-based networking platform for a citywide intelligent street lights project in Copenhagen, Denmark. Under a partnership with Citelum, a provider of urban electrical systems, Silver Spring Networks is expected to begin networking 20,000 street lights in Copenhagen in 2014. Citelum will help the city improve energy efficiency and enable remote lighting management and control. Together, the partners will provide multiple LED lamp options with a single networking platform for Copenhagen’s smart city network.
The owners of Michael Jordan Nissan car dealership in Durham, NC, updated some of the dealership’s interior and exterior lighting with LED luminaires from Cree and expect that the newly installed luminaires will save up to 58 percent in energy costs annually over the metal halide and fluorescent fixtures they replaced. To date, the installation includes nearly 300 LED luminaires from Cree’s portfolio. The dealership plans to continue installing fixtures throughout the facility with the goal of changing 100 percent of its dealership to LED lighting.
Access Fixtures replaced high-pressure sodium wall packs with energy-efficient LED lamps at the Ivy Corset Building, a renovated circa 1910 brick factory building in Worcester, Mass. The retrofitted wall packs reduce energy use by 75 percent compared to the previous lamps and ballasts. Access Fixtures retrofitted six wall packs on the front of the building using 11-watt A21 style LED lamps. Previously, the wall packs used 35-watt high pressure sodium (HPS) lamps and ballasts that totaled 43 watts of energy per wall pack. Assuming the luminaires are on eight hours a day/seven days a week, the retrofit will save $14.08 per wall pack for a total savings of $84.48 per year. Payback for the initial cost of the LED retrofit is less than 1.5 years including labor. Because the LEDs won’t have to be replaced for 17 years, the LED wall pack retrofit will provide a total energy savings of $1,436 over the lifetime of the LED lamps, says Access Fixtures.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- ARC Brief: Infrastructure: The Hidden Optimization Opportunity
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Harness the Value of Big Data to Build Smarter Infrastructures
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room