LEDs Provide Big Savings for Oakland Bay Bridge
The California Department of Transportation recently completed an LED lighting overhaul to the East Span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. After three years of testing and designing custom fixtures, Musco Lighting provided an LED lighting system featuring Cree XLamp XM-L LEDs.
The bridge now employs more than 51,500 high-performance LEDs, lighting the entire East Span at an estimated energy savings of 50 percent.
The new bridge required long-lasting, efficient lighting for the new 2,047-foot East Span. After deeming a metal halide light source as an unsuitable solution for this application, Musco teamed up with Cree to deliver uniform light with glare control using compact, custom-designed fixtures. Musco was able to reduce fixture size by reducing the number of LEDs and optics in the system because of the small footprint of Cree’s LED light source.
In addition to the roadway and suspension cables, the East Span now features custom, optically directed Musco LED light fixtures along the bridge deck, bike and pedestrian paths, tunnel entrance and self-anchored suspension tower.
The expected lifespan of the lighting is 15 years.
Photo credit: Photograph courtesy of Musco.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 4 Reasons Operations Teams Can’t Live Without Real-Time Building Data
- Building Energy Intelligence
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management