LEDs Provide Big Savings for Oakland Bay Bridge
The California Department of Transportation recently completed an LED lighting overhaul to the East Span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. After three years of testing and designing custom fixtures, Musco Lighting provided an LED lighting system featuring Cree XLamp XM-L LEDs.
The bridge now employs more than 51,500 high-performance LEDs, lighting the entire East Span at an estimated energy savings of 50 percent.
The new bridge required long-lasting, efficient lighting for the new 2,047-foot East Span. After deeming a metal halide light source as an unsuitable solution for this application, Musco teamed up with Cree to deliver uniform light with glare control using compact, custom-designed fixtures. Musco was able to reduce fixture size by reducing the number of LEDs and optics in the system because of the small footprint of Cree’s LED light source.
In addition to the roadway and suspension cables, the East Span now features custom, optically directed Musco LED light fixtures along the bridge deck, bike and pedestrian paths, tunnel entrance and self-anchored suspension tower.
The expected lifespan of the lighting is 15 years.
Photo credit: Photograph courtesy of Musco.
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?