LEDs Light New Year’s in Times Square
The Times Square New Year’s Eve Ball will be lit by Philips’ technology for the 13th consecutive year, and the 6th year Philips has used LEDs.
The Times Square Ball takes 32,256 Philips Luxeon LEDs. These same bulbs are commercially available and consume up to 80 percent less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs, according to Philips.
A recent Philips’ survey found that almost 60 percent of people agree that light plays an important role in setting the right mood for a special occasion, such as New Year’s Eve.
Of those surveyed, only 30 percent are very familiar with LED lighting solutions. When asked about the benefits of LED technology, 71 percent of respondents cite energy efficiency, and 61 percent agree that LEDs last longer than traditional incandescent bulbs. However, there is a significant knowledge gap about other important benefits, such as color quality, customizable hues and brightness, and the ability to integrate with existing fixtures.
The survey was conducted in partnership with Opinion Research Corporation among a national sample of 1,003 adults, 18 years of age and older, living in the continental United States. Interviewing for the survey was completed in November 2012.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement