Legrand Employees Challenge Each Other to Save Energy
Employees of Legrand got into the competitive spirit in a company-wide Power Down Day held in November 2012, which resulted in a total energy intensity reduction for the day at nearly 25 percent.
Twenty-four Legrand sites and more than 2,500 employees across North America were part of the Power Down Day – a 24-hour concerted effort to save energy within and across facilities.
There was competition between the different sites with employees coming up with creative ways to best their colleagues. Energy saving examples included unplugging seldom used machines, changing personal computer sleep settings to two minutes, and holding a “brown bag” lunch day to avoid the use of refrigeration.
Besides the Power Down Day, Legrand has reduced its energy intensity by 20.2 percent over two years by making energy efficiency improvements via its involvement in the Better Buildings, Better Plants Challenge.
Legrand shares the resources it develops as it works to reduce energy intensity across its North America facilities. An 18-page Legrand, North America Energy Policy includes detailed energy saving policies and procedures – including a focus on facilities, submetering, IT guidelines, purchasing and transportation guidelines, as well as a detailed reference section. Many of the recommendations in this policy were used for Power Down Day planning and implementation. Another resource, a Power Down Day Toolkit, provides background information and tools for other companies to develop and hold a 24-hour Power Down Day event.
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Harness the Value of Big Data to Build Smarter Infrastructures
- 9 Ways to Reduce Energy Costs
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems