Lighting News: Green Ballast Daylight Harvesting; Acuity Acquires Adura
Bronson Sporting Goods has installed Green Ballast‘s patented daylight harvesting fluorescent light ballasts in its new Memphis location.
The new ballasts are direct replacements for the existing “standard ballasts.” Each ballast includes a photocell sensor that interacts with daylight harvesting technology, allowing each Green Ballast equipped fixture to:
- Actively measure the amount of daylight in its coverage area
- Harvest this daylight and calculate how much fluorescent light is actually needed to provide adequate lighting
- Adjust the power consumption of the lighting fixture accordingly
Lighting company Acuity Brands has acquired the assets of Adura Technologies, a developer of wireless controls and energy management solutions. Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
Founded in 2005, San Francisco-based Adura has developed radio frequency (RF) mesh networking technology that allows individual light fixtures to communicate in a wireless mesh network with switches, sensors and system management software. The ZigBee wireless standard-based technology eliminates the cost of using wires to network all of the devices in the system. Wireless controls technology improves the economics and feasibility of installing lighting controls in a wide variety of new construction and renovation projects.
The addition of Adura Technologies allows Acuity to expand its wireless lighting controls portfolio, which includes nWifi technology, the ROAM streetlight monitoring system and the FIDO emergency monitoring system.
Adura lighting systems are currently installed in 7 million square feet of commercial space, including 4 million square feet of covered parking facilities. According to Acuity, new state and local energy codes being adopted based on updated standards will require covered parking lighting to use occupancy-based, multi-level lighting controls.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Combined Heat and Power
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Connected Buildings, Connected People: A Look to the Future
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies