Lighting Strategies Detailed
Daylighting, adding individual controls or simply just choosing the correct lamp are all examples of energy efficient lighting strategies that forward-thinking businesses have implemented, reports Buildings.
If a building is in line for a structural retrofit, it could be useful to consider making better use of the cheapest, lighting source: the sun. This can be done through adding an atrium, or simply increasing the number of skylights.
Bringing in an atrium is not “terribly complicated,” according to Michael Hummel a consultant with Environmental Building Strategies, the magazine reports.
LEDs are widely trumpeted as the most efficient lamp choice, but it may turn out that other lamp types fit a building’s needs better. Hummel recently designed a building for LinkedIn that uses 32W T8 linear fluorescent tubes.
LEDs are still useful in many applications, the article says. Indeed, their efficiency is improving at the same time as their upfront costs are dropping. The relatively long lamp life means LEDs often come into their own in areas where changing bulbs is a hassle.
One other way that efficiency can be improved is by maximizing customized controls for users. Offering the most amount of individual control reduces requests for adjustments and can cut down on complaints, the magazine reports.
At green design and development firm Paladino moved to a new headquarters the controls are purposefully visible allowing employees to tailor lighting to individual tasks. The company also tried to install the best control feature for each light fixture. For example, the company installed vacancy and occupancy sensors and time clock controls in a few key areas where they knew how employees would be using the space. The design process took a bit of time, as Paladino had to really work out how the spaces would be used, but in the end the system in cheaper and more intuitive to use, the magazine reports.
Picture credit: The Hague city hall via Shutterstock.
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- The Top 5 Things You Should Know about Big Energy Data
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement