Lighting Update: Incandescent Sales Drop, Philips BoldPlay, $10m LED Grant, Las Vegas Convention Center
Recent shipment data show that sales of those incandescent lamps that are exempt from efficiency standards have declined, according to the US Energy Information Administration. Most specialty light bulb types, like three-way bulbs and appliance bulbs, are exempted from congressionally-legislated energy efficiency standards, but the drop in sales points to broader lighting market transformation beyond the target of the original legislation, which was the more common general service bulbs, the EIA says.
Philips Ledalite has launched its BoldPlay portfolio of LED lighting systems that it says are 44 percent more efficient and consume 28 percent less energy than traditional technologies like fluorescent. Delivering up to 106 lumens per watt, BoldPlay allows for row spacing of up to 20 feet apart, the company says. BoldPlay features optional response daylight harvesting sensors that can extend LED sustainability benefits by further reducing energy consumption up to another 35 percent, Philips says.
Independence LED has announced a $10 million energy grant program that targets veterans, women and minorities. Grants will fund 10 percent of the cost of Independence LED retrofit equipment up to $10,000; 100 percent of the cost of an energy analysis; a six-month extension on the National Cash for Clunkers T12 fluorescent tube replacement program; and $0 down payment financing options. To qualify businesses must be a registered Minority Business Enterprise, Women’s Business Enterprise, or Veteran Owned Business and meet other criteria available here.
The Las Vegas Convention Center has cut its energy consumption by 40 percent by installing around 2,000 Holophane DualBay high bay luminaires from Acuity Brands. Installed in the 3.2 million-sq-foot convention center’s central exhibit halls, DualBay high bay luminaires feature Holophane ISD Superglass reflectors, dual lamp technology, solid-state electronic ballasts, and a thermal management system to deliver better light quality, distribution and energy savings.
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- Beyond Equipment Management by Spreadsheets
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems