Lighting Update: Incandescent Sales Drop, Philips BoldPlay, $10m LED Grant, Las Vegas Convention Center
Recent shipment data show that sales of those incandescent lamps that are exempt from efficiency standards have declined, according to the US Energy Information Administration. Most specialty light bulb types, like three-way bulbs and appliance bulbs, are exempted from congressionally-legislated energy efficiency standards, but the drop in sales points to broader lighting market transformation beyond the target of the original legislation, which was the more common general service bulbs, the EIA says.
Philips Ledalite has launched its BoldPlay portfolio of LED lighting systems that it says are 44 percent more efficient and consume 28 percent less energy than traditional technologies like fluorescent. Delivering up to 106 lumens per watt, BoldPlay allows for row spacing of up to 20 feet apart, the company says. BoldPlay features optional response daylight harvesting sensors that can extend LED sustainability benefits by further reducing energy consumption up to another 35 percent, Philips says.
Independence LED has announced a $10 million energy grant program that targets veterans, women and minorities. Grants will fund 10 percent of the cost of Independence LED retrofit equipment up to $10,000; 100 percent of the cost of an energy analysis; a six-month extension on the National Cash for Clunkers T12 fluorescent tube replacement program; and $0 down payment financing options. To qualify businesses must be a registered Minority Business Enterprise, Women’s Business Enterprise, or Veteran Owned Business and meet other criteria available here.
The Las Vegas Convention Center has cut its energy consumption by 40 percent by installing around 2,000 Holophane DualBay high bay luminaires from Acuity Brands. Installed in the 3.2 million-sq-foot convention center’s central exhibit halls, DualBay high bay luminaires feature Holophane ISD Superglass reflectors, dual lamp technology, solid-state electronic ballasts, and a thermal management system to deliver better light quality, distribution and energy savings.
- The World Resources Institute Scope 2 Guidance: A Verifier’s Perspective
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity