Lighting Upgrade Saves $130K Annually, Cuts 1.3M kWh
The Shops at Grand Avenue’s parking garage in Milwaukee, Wis., got an LED lighting upgrade, replacing 986 metal halide 150W lights with VPL LED parking vaportight fixtures manufactured by Precision-Paragon (P2), consuming 51 watts each.
The LED retrofit reduced the facility’s lighting energy consumption by over 66 percent.
Current Electric of Brookfield, Wis., performed the retrofit. Current Electric and P2 also collaborated to install occupancy sensors on all 986 LED fixtures to detect when people or moving vehicles are present. When the area is empty of pedestrians or moving vehicles, the fixtures dim their light output by 40 percent.
In addition, daylight sensors are mounted on 450 fixtures in areas where natural light enters the structure during the day. When these sensors detect sufficient natural daylight in their area, they turn off the fixture. The daylight sensors also have a built-in time delay function that avoids startup when natural light levels are temporarily dimmed, such as when a cloudbank passes over the sun.
The VPL’s efficacy of between 97 and 103 lumens per watt, combined with the daylight and occupancy sensors throughout the parking garage, is expected to save the facility over $134,000 in energy costs and 1,344,963 kWh every year.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Support Lean Manufacturing Principles with IBM Maximo Asset Management
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing