Lighting Upgrade Saves $130K Annually, Cuts 1.3M kWh
The Shops at Grand Avenue’s parking garage in Milwaukee, Wis., got an LED lighting upgrade, replacing 986 metal halide 150W lights with VPL LED parking vaportight fixtures manufactured by Precision-Paragon (P2), consuming 51 watts each.
The LED retrofit reduced the facility’s lighting energy consumption by over 66 percent.
Current Electric of Brookfield, Wis., performed the retrofit. Current Electric and P2 also collaborated to install occupancy sensors on all 986 LED fixtures to detect when people or moving vehicles are present. When the area is empty of pedestrians or moving vehicles, the fixtures dim their light output by 40 percent.
In addition, daylight sensors are mounted on 450 fixtures in areas where natural light enters the structure during the day. When these sensors detect sufficient natural daylight in their area, they turn off the fixture. The daylight sensors also have a built-in time delay function that avoids startup when natural light levels are temporarily dimmed, such as when a cloudbank passes over the sun.
The VPL’s efficacy of between 97 and 103 lumens per watt, combined with the daylight and occupancy sensors throughout the parking garage, is expected to save the facility over $134,000 in energy costs and 1,344,963 kWh every year.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement