Lithium-ion Battery Energy Storage Powers Remote Island
Toshiba delivered battery energy storage systems integrating the company’s SCiB lithium-ion secondary battery to Kyushu Electric Power for a demonstration project to expand introduction of renewable energy sources on remote islands.
The systems have been installed in substations on Tanegashima Island and Amamioshima Island, in Kagoshima prefecture, and will be used to demonstrate the integration and optimum control of battery energy storage systems deployed to manage frequency regulation and maintain stable power supply on remote islands. The demonstration program will run for three years to fiscal 2016.
Power frequencies tend to fluctuate due to intermittent power outputs from the renewables sources like wind and solar.
The maximum output and capacity of the systems Toshiba has delivered are 3,000kW and 1,161kWh for Tanegashima Island and 2,000kW and 774kWh for Amamioshima Island. Both systems integrate Toshiba’s SCiB lithium-ion secondary batteries.
Toshiba is promoting battery energy storage system globally as a support for stable power supply, and is involved in Smart Community projects around the world. In Japan, these include a renewable power supply project in Okinawa and a large-scale urban project serving homes and offices in Yokohama.
The program is supported by Japan’s New Energy and Industrial Technology Development organization (NEDO), under its program for “Development of Large Scale Energy Storage System with High Safety and Cost Competitiveness.”
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Practical Guide to Transforming Energy Data into Better Buildings
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards