Little Hesitation for Green Energy in the UK
By 2020 the projects could add a further 4.5 GW of low-carbon electricity to Britain’s energy mix (about 4 percent of capacity).
They include five offshore wind projects totaling 3,184 MW, two coal-to-biomass conversions for 1,065 MW, and one dedicated biomass with combined heat and power for 299 MW. Solar energy has made less of an impact and is much smaller in scale.
About 15TWh would be generated or 14 percent of the renewable electricity expected by 2020.
The government said these are the first investments from reforms to build the world’s first low carbon electricity market.
There has been significant growth in renewable electricity sector with the renewables’ share of total electricity generation more than doubling since 2010. It reached a record 17.6 percent of generation in the fourth quarter of 2013. The UK has a target that expects to deliver over 30 percent renewable electricity in 2020.
In contrast, the European Commission recently adopted new rules that will require less funding for renewable energy from industry.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement